Nintendo enjoyed it’s best ever Black Friday to Cyber Monday periods in its history this year with the Nintendo Switch setting two new records for sales. It became the best-selling Nintendo console in Nintendo’s history in the US for the five-day periods spanning the extended weekend. The Switch also had its own best-selling week ever in the US. According to Adobe Analytics, the Switch was among the highest selling purchases online on Thanksgiving Day, and the top overall selling video game product online for the Black Friday-Cyber Monday period.
Nintendo posted more than $250 million in sales for its products over that time span, behind a strong demand for Nintendo products, according to internal figures from Nintendo. The sale totals include Nintendo products ranging from the Switch and 3DS family of systems, Nintendo’s retro systems the NES Classic, and SNES Classic, as well as the always popular Nintendo first party games and accessories. Total hardware sales for the US were up 45 percent over last years Black Friday-Cyber Monday time period.
The Switch is looking to be flying high going into the holiday season, with the release of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate still to come. Nintendo has previously announced its not only the most preordered Switch game ever released, but also the most preordered Smash Bros title in the series.
Nintendo released the following data about its US sales from November 22 to November 26. These figured are US Specific unless otherwise noted:
- Nintendo Switch hardware sales grew 115 percent compared to the same period in 2017.
- Lifetime sales of Nintendo Switch, which is entering only its second holiday season, have reached more than 8.2 million units.
- Sales of first-party games, including digital downloads, topped 1 million units Nov. 22-26, beating 2017’s totals by 78 percent.
- Nintendo Switch games Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee! have hit combined U.S. sales of more than 1.5 million units since their Nov. 16 launch.
- Super Mario Party surpassed lifetime U.S. sales of 1 million units, becoming the fastest-selling game in the Mario Party series and the fifth million-selling first-party Nintendo Switch game in the U.S. alone, joining The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2.
- Thanks in part to strong Thanksgiving to Cyber Monday sales, the total installed base for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems has hit 22 million.
- Additionally, after 12 months of availability, lifetime combined sales of the Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon games crossed 2.2 million.
Classic Gaming Systems
- Also aided by strong Nov. 22-26 sales, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition system surpassed lifetime sales of 2.5 million.
- And the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition system surpassed lifetime sales of 2 million.